First, let us understand the meaning of comfort zone…
Comfort zone is a luxury created by your mind which is repulsive to a change. It is because when a change occurs, something different from the usual takes place, giving way to something new. So you can say that the ‘change’ is directly proportional to the ‘new’.
And here we arrive at a straightforward definition…
Your comfort zone is the barrier which restricts the new to enter your world.
Let us recall a few instances testing the boundaries of your comfort zone…
1. The most common one… leaving the bed in the morning… sleep comforts you and getting out of it is difficult. The choice is yours… you want to get up and exercise, meditate, leave for work, kick-start your day… or you want to snooze the alarm and stay within the boundaries of your comfort zone.
2. You are working in a bank in your hometown. You are offered a raise and promotion in the same bank outside your hometown. It is your call to settle with the comfort boundaries of your hometown or explore the new by opting to go out.
3. Someone meets with an accident in front of you. He needs help, and he is seeking help. Whether you will be compassionate enough to break the boundaries of your comfort zone… your call.
4. Your Air Conditioner is on in summers. But one hot summer night, your A.C is not working and spend the entire night without it. This is an example where there is no other option but to accept the change. Whether or not you accept the change gracefully is the real test of your comfort zone.
5. You are not well versed in speaking English. You are invited to a formal function where people mostly converse in English. It is your call to take that as an opportunity by backing up with a positive attitude or you could surrender to your comfort zone by not attending it.
6. You travel by air but unfortunately, the flight ticket is not available but reaching that place is crucial. And so travel by train. Again an instance where your comfort zone is tested. Always remember, not only traveling by train but traveling by train happily is the real test of your comfort zone.
7. An afternoon nap is a part of your daily routine. But if anyone from your personal or professional atmosphere wants to meet you during that time, it will test your comfort zone.
8. You need to reach your destination but you don’t know the route directions. You may go there self-drive challenging the situation or you can hire a cab surrendering to the situation.
What happens when you don’t allow the new to enter your world?
Everyone enjoys their comfort zone and wants to stay inside it. But change is inevitable. Change is something you cannot change. So when the boundary of your comfort zone is pre-defined, it restricts you from accepting the change gracefully. As a result, you never experience the new.
When you don’t taste the new, I am sorry but your thinking becomes obsolete. And as a result, you struggle in your personal and professional atmosphere.
Here are 12 Reasons to push the boundaries of your comfort zone:
1. To explore the new…
The world is changing every day every moment. And to adapt it, you need to welcome it. But it will not happen if you have already defined the boundaries of your comfort zone.
2. Strengthens your physical and mental toughness…
Sometimes the changes are forced upon you. Those changes are not favorable to you. And if you are not tough to accept those changes, you might break down and fall prey to the unfavorable change.
3. Boost your inner-self traits…
When you dive into the pool of changes, you learn a lot of new things which shapes up your inner-self traits like self-confidence and self-esteem.
4. Expands your vision…
When you keep pushing the boundaries of your comfort zone deliberately, you become an explorer. You want to learn and grow and in the process, you expand your mental horizons.
5. Aging with experience…
You age like a fine wine. When you constantly push your comfort zone, you keep dealing with new situations now and then. No matter how good or bad you deal with it, only facing it makes you experienced.
6. Know your self-worth…
Only when you are out of your comfort zone, you get to know what you are capable of. You may know your weaknesses but when you are out of your comfort zone, you find your strengths. And you know oneself better.
7. Acing your work field…
In the world of creativity, every field is evolving daily. I am sorry but you cannot reach the top if are repulsive to the new. Constantly pushing the boundaries of comfort zone makes you challenge those situations. And it enables you to reach new heights.
Change in the current situation induces fear dealing with that situation. But when you get acquainted with changes, fear of the new fades away.
9. To take calculated risks…
When you are out of your comfort zone, you become brave enough to take worth-taking risks because of the boosted self-confidence. Taking calculated risks is important to challenge tough life situations.
10. Makes you a good decision-maker…
When you take decisions staying within the boundaries of your comfort zone, your decision is instigated by the luxury of your comfort zone. And when you are out of it, your decision is independent of anything leading to bold and right decisions.
11. You complain less…
When you are inside your comfort zone, you don’t like a change. As a result, you look for reasons to avoid it. But when you are out of it, you look for opportunities to accept a change positively.
12. Your approach to anyone/anything becomes positive…
When you are out of your comfort zone, you love meeting new people, approaching new situations and exploring new places. It makes you adventurous where you enjoy the new.
Time for some Happy Realizations!!!
Never define the limits of your comfort zone. Limiting the boundaries of your comfort zone puts a break in your self-development. The world is changing every day and if you define your comfort level you are not growing. And if you are not ready for a change, you will always lag in your personal and professional sphere.
Flowing with every moment is the need of the hour. Don’t fear the new, welcome it to learn from it and most importantly, to enjoy it. Get out of the pond to explore what the sea has in the store for you.
Always remember, not only accepting the change is important, accepting the change with a positive attitude is important. Only then, you will learn how to adapt to it. This way, the situation gets familiar to you and falls within the boundary of your comfort zone.
But make sure you don’t rush into everything. Go easy, go slow so that you don’t call your best friend stress in the process. But make sure you keep moving and keep testing your comfort zone.
Here’s my question to you…What’s important…your love for your comfort zone or your aspiration to become bigger and better?
Chose your option wisely… Take care!!!
Amanpreet Singh is the founder of Happy Realization. From the negatives of depression to the positives of meditation, he loves expressing his experiences and the practical life lessons which he calls his Happy Realizations. He is a guest blogger at respectable publications like Pick the Brain and Dumb Little Man.